Monday, February 10, 2014

Totó, tengo la sensación de que ya no estamos en Kansas

So traveling to another hemisphere brings with it a whole array of big and little cultural and geographical differences. I definitely haven't experienced major culture shock like I might in a non-westernized culture. Lots of things are similar, but with some sort of twist. Still. Noticing the differences has been thoroughly enjoyable. Here are a few of the things I've noticed over the past few weeks:

1. Cool Street Vendors, Artisans, and Tradespeople

Like this guy. He's called an afilador, and he sharpens knives with an electric sharpening thingermajigger that he powers by pedaling his bike. Big fan. Also, his name is Nico.

2. Muchos Zapatos

Never in my life have I seen so many shoe stores. SO MANY SHOES. I'm almost certain it's not an exaggeration to say there is at least one, and more often two or three zapaterias on every block on my walk to class. They don't sell anything else. Just shoes. Dress shoes. Es increible.

3. The stars are upside down

It didn't occur to me before I left that when I got here, I'd get to see Orion upside down (AND during the summer). Probably nerdy, but I thoroughly enjoyed flipping out about this. Thank you random astronomy class in college.

4.  Squirrels

There aren't any. I can think of some people that would love to move here for that reason alone. There are, however, still mosquitos. And a crap ton of stray dogs. They're everywhere. (I'm not kidding... one wandered across the front of the room during the sermon at church this morning.)

5. Also, Index Cards

They're about as hard to find as squirrels. Just a tad easier. Argentines are apparently post-it note sort of people. When I asked my host family about them, it took them awhile to even think of what they were called. I finally found some at this one office supply store. But there weren't options so I will have to survive with having lines on both sides (my life is hard).

6. Weddings

It's normal to have the guests pay to attend them. I guess that's one way to avoid a big bill.

7. Funerals

Calling hours start the same day that the person dies and go on for a whole day or two. Just thought that was interesting.

8.Speaking of funerals...

I'm banking on avoiding my own in the next three months, but the way people in this country drive is crazy so I'm never totally sure. (Mom, don't worry, I'm mostly joking. They do drive crazy, but it also seems like drivers are generally extra aware to make up for all the crazy driving going on.) If road rage was to be most futile in any place in the world, this would be the place. (Let's overlook the fact that I am a very inexperienced international traveler with very little credibility to make this claim.) Not getting cut off left and right is a rare exception to the norm. There are very few stop signs at corners, so most intersections are kind of just a free for all. Right of way goes to whoever doesn't stop. The police don't really enforce much, except for at random checkpoints where they like to pull you over and check your identity documents and intimidate you with their big guns:
Also, it seems to be a nationally agreed upon rule that you absolutely never stop for pedestrians. So I've had to learn to be a more skilled walker.

9. Maybe sort of egalitarian bathroom signs

Okay, this actually doesn't apply to all of Cordoba or Argentina, but I was at a cool vegetarian restaurant the other day (which is VERY rare, since the standard Argentine diet is made up of bread, sugar, and meat), and they had this sign on the door of the women's bathroom. I could go into a sociological break-down of the pros and cons and implications of this sign, but for now I'm just going to share my initial reaction, which was to be happy that she had short hair. Especially since I'm starting to get a sense that, even more than in the US, long hair seems to be a standard of beauty here.

10. Unfriendly Trees

Some trees in Argentina have developed defense mechanisms against being climbed. (When I set that sad news aside, they're pretty fascinating)

In other news, it rained this morning and I got to stomp in puddles the whole way to class. :)

No comments: