Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Pastel de Carne

Most of the pictures I take are like leftovers in your fridge. There aren't really enough ingredients to make a normal meal, but you can't just throw away the food you do have, so you make meat loaf. I've got plenty of pictures and thoughts that don't fit in an entire one-themed blog post, but are definitely sufficient for making meatloaf. So this post is full of leftovers that I like:

1. There are lots of unions here, and sometimes they have cool semi-dangerous but exciting protests with loud fireworks and drummers and people singing and random fires and mobs of people marching down streets preventing traffic from going anywhere. :) Apparently this is a very regular occurrence.

This protest happened a few blocks from my language school. I'm pretty sure it had to do with inflation and the way it's ruining people's lives:


2. This song that gets played in the car a lot. I will never get sick of it:



3. Argentina's version of retro candy from yesteryear is shaped like ice cream and filled with alcohol.


4. There are really cool kids that show you how to climb onto the roofs of buildings in their neighborhood. (I know that's pretty universal, but man, I love these kids so much. They're my favorite part about Argentina. Even better than dulce de leche.)

5. When you go grocery shopping, they lock your reusable shopping bags you bring with you in a bag so that you can't steal anything, keep the key at the front of the store, but make you carry around the locked bag. I'm not sure why this was so humorous to me. Maybe because security is such a non-concern in every other aspect of life here, but you can't be trusted with reusable shopping bags.


6. In the same line of humor (which I'm really not sure is funny to anyone but me): you can drive like a madman, stop signs barely exist, and it's pretty much unheard of to get pulled over for disobeying traffic laws (not that there really are any), but it's illegal to make a right turn on red. And people actually obey that.

7. Subway (and pizza) are eaten with forks and knives. (I don't love this so much as I love making fun of it (Maybe Argentina will teach me to be civilized (but I doubt it))).


8. Cool parks with circle thingies and people casually doing circus tricks in the trees.


9. Hay muchos catedrales


10. At traffic lights, people perform for you. (Of course they come to your window for money afterwards, which I'm sure could get old when you live here all the time, but it's pretty entertaining for three months.)

No comments: