Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Los Cocos

So this is old news, but I never posted pictures from when I went to the Sierras a few weekends back. Considering how much I love mountains and that it's where I had my first asado, I feel like it's momentous enough that it'd be shameful to not share.

The drive may have been my favorite part. The pictures I took do such terrible justice to what I saw, that I won't even post them. I cheated and found this one online. Es mucho mas parecido.


As for asado, asado's like the Argentinean version of BBQ. Except based on how intense of a culinary sport asado is, I think it'd be offensive to compare the two. I don't know if I'm sufficiently qualified to describe it yet, but basically, instead of grilling with pre-made charcoal, you burn a fire and you keep moving hot coals from the fire to under the grate where you slow cook the meat. Asados are really common social events. Wikipedia also tells me that asado is the national dish of Argentina. I suppose I should verify that with Argentineans, but it's not too hard to believe.

Anyway, this was the asado in-process at the youth retreat I went to in the Sierras. So much meat.




There's a lot more green and a lot less brown on this plate than I think is normal for an asado, but in the name of documenting my first asado, here it is:


And this is what time it was when we finally ate. I was the only one that thought this was weird. Yes, that says 12:47. No, not in the afternoon. Mmm dinner.

No comments: