Friday, November 16, 2012

I Wish I Were 2

There's a little girl that comes with her mom every week to the cafe that I face when I sit in the little glass box where I work. I love watching her entertain herself while her mom and dad and their coworkers eat lunch together. I love watching her talk, and watching her comprehend and engage with the things the adults around her are saying. 2 year olds are amazing. They understand so much language. But they aren't pressured to speak it perfectly. Children are given so much flexibility,  patience and grace as they learn to speak and form syntax and correct grammar. *Sigh.* Maybe if I wear footie pajamas and pigtails when I go to Costa Rica, they'll treat me the same way. In the meantime, if anyone wants to read me Spanish picture books at bedtime, I won't turn you down.

No comments: