Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Carpe Diem

The question of what I want to be when I grow up -- I play with it, I speak about it, I plan for it, I have no idea about it, I sneeze at it, I cry over it. It's a big question and thinking about its answer makes me both intensely impassioned and profoundly afraid.

Tonight I watched The Dead Poets Society for the first time in a long time. Something about John Keating resonates with me so so fiercely. He's so close to what I want to be. But in real life, he'd have 6 classes and 180 students and curriculums mandated and enforced by law. He'd have heaps of papers to grade and so little time and energy to devote to building relationships with individual students -- the kind of relationships he had in the movie -- ones that speak to the heart of a person and call on their deepest, most creative and true and valuable self. Passionate as he may be about that part of his job, real life Mr. Keating would most likely only be able to make his passion a subordinate thing to his job.

I guess I say that because I fear that for myself. I know life isn't always romantic and I know doing things you would rather not is a big part of leading any kind of life as a human being, great or not. But I don't want to do anything that merely incorporates what I'm passionate about into it. I want what I'm passionate about to be the biggest part of whatever I do.

I'm impatient, yes. But I trust my future will be abnormal to the extent that I have a hard time sitting back and believing something will just come along. I think I'm going to have to find my life's work. Create it. And I just don't feel creative enough. Or maybe the problem is that the world is not currently catering to the creativity of people like me. The world's axioms are so strong and so greatly in opposition to mine that I can feel its disapproving gaze in the supposedly-but-not-so-private room where my ideas churn and even in the birth of those ideas I can already taste failure.

Still... the impassioned part of me won't be still. It's writhing around inside of me like a million woodland creatures just awakened from a long hibernation, full of new life and ambition and purpose that cannot be sequestered by any means.

 
O ME! O life!... of the questions of these recurring;
Of the endless trains of the faithless—of cities fill’d with the foolish;
Of myself forever reproaching myself, (for who more foolish than I, and who more faithless?)
Of eyes that vainly crave the light—of the objects mean—of the struggle ever renew’d;
Of the poor results of all—of the plodding and sordid crowds I see around me;
Of the empty and useless years of the rest—with the rest me intertwined;
The question, O me! so sad, recurring—What good amid these, O me, O life?
  


Answer.

That you are here—that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse.
                              -Walt Whitman

3 comments:

Unknown said...

In all honesty I think feeling obligated to conform to the daily rigamarole you speak of is somewhat of an evil trick. You are a beautiful person because you constantly strive to seek your true humanely identity as opposed to trying to find your identity in others. In that it seems that you have found identity in Christ and for all of that, for seeking to truly follow Christ and staying true to yourself as opposed to staying true to the world, you will be persecuted and judged. In John 15:18-19 Jesus says tells his disciples:

"If the world hates you, keep in mind it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you."

I think that it is such a tragedy that people will laud characters like Mr. Keating in movies and books, but when someone comes forward as one who seeks to be truly and uniquely themselves, seeking who they were truly created to be in life, then they become persecuted and mocked.

All of that to say keep striving towards the beautiful life that you long for. You say in real life Mr. Keating would have had papers and meetings and general business but maybe in real life he would have put the bare minimum energy into all of that side of his life because he had found what really mattered and he took it. Our God is big enough to make a way for you, you just have to consistently have the fortitude to choose to take that way every day.

Ellen said...

Thanks, mystery encouraging person. I've always had a hard time with that verse from John because I've recently come to the opinion that no one hates God. At least not who God really is. I think people are just stuck in this place where the kind of love God trusts to move and mold and change the world is just so counterintuitive to the universally accepted ways most everyone does things. I think people are more scared and skeptical than anything, and that can manifest itself in something that looks a lot like hate (and maybe that confusion on a grand scale is what I'm experiencing and what the verse is getting at). I don't blame them for being scared or skeptical of trusting love either. We do such a good job teaching people terribly false things about love and terribly false things about violent conflict.

You made a good point though. Maybe Mr Keating would have deprioritized the stuff that didn't matter so much. I didn't consider that. The task-oriented goody-two-shoes part of me struggles to do stuff like that. This gives me something to think about.

Kevin said...

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life - to put to rout all that was not life and not, when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived."

Ellen, oh Ellen, why must we continually find ourselves in situations where we share such common ground and sentiments and yet have no time to discuss them? For I, too, have a big place in my heart for Dead Poets Society, and often wonder about my footprint and impact on the world.

I think that the answer to this yearning, though, is not to pine for it and wish that you weren't destined for a passion-less caged life of living in 'the grind', but rather to come to see the truth that the job you utilize to pay your bills does not define your vocation or who you are and how you matter - to God or others around you. What you do doesn't define you: who you are does.

What mattered in the film was *not* the fact that Mr. Keating had the day job of a teacher, but instead that he taught with his life. You speak of 'real life Mr. Keating' putting his passion a subordinate thing to his job, but I think that what the film shows is that the passion with which he lived his life showed through his job.

Neil also followed his passion and became an actor, yes. But being an actor isn't what made his life matter to those around him and what caused them to mourn his passing; it was the way he lived his life with passion that mattered to them.

I think that, instead of sharing some ancient wisdom, I will quote the poetry of a more recent group of sages:

"Arts and crafts is all I need:
I'll take calligraphy and then I'll make a fake degree.

Do what will make you happy, do what you feel is right.
Only but one thing matters: learn how to live your life.

Do what will make God happy, do what you feel is right. Only but one thing matters: learn how to live your life."
~Relient K, "College Kids"

The biggest part of what you do, as you call it, may in fact be *how* you do what you do.

The powerful play goes on, Ellen, and you *will* contribute a verse. What will your verse be?




(For this topic, I'm personally always a fan of Colossians 3:23-24. I need to remind myself a lot of the time, frankly.)