Saturday, August 27, 2011

Buddhists and San Fransisco

So I'm sitting in the San Fransisco airport and it is 10:30am. I have been up for 10 hours already, and have already eaten lunch, because my body thinks it is 1:30 in the afternoon. I'm going to be up for at least 10 more hours and I have 194 pages of reading to complete in my required reading book The Brothers K (which you should definitely read) before I arrive in Medford. My friends got up at 3am to drive me to the Philly airport because they're awesome. Brunch (if that's what you would call a second breakfast) consisted of delicious tomato bisque in a bread bowl. My second flight is a little late, gifting me with more reading time (which I'm probably debunking by blogging).

BUT. The coolest part of my day yet was the conversation I had with the guy sitting next to me on the flight here. Taylor taught Philosophy at a school right around the corner from mine for awhile and worked with Eastern to design their brochure. Pretty nifty. But THEN he told me that he was actually on that flight because he's on his way to Thailand. He's going there to stay at a Buddhist monastery where he's going to participate in a 10 day silent retreat.

So awesome. I almost changed my flight to go with him. =P

2 comments:

Anna said...

A Buddhist monastery? 0_o is he trying to be a "silent witness" or something?

Ellen said...

I don't think he was a Christian.