Saturday, July 30, 2011

Turn Around

So I half apologize for my catastrophic mess blog from a few weeks ago because it was probably a little bit excessively dramatic. But I only half apologize because that was how I was feeling and I was expressing myself authentically and I don't regret it. Mostly, I just hope it didn't bring you down.

At any rate, I am feeling a lot better this weekend. The week right after that low, we had the best group of campers ever to be in the highlands. They managed to be the most polite, respectful, thoughtful kids without being personality-less zombie suck-ups. Generally when Audrey and I get to the camp site to start the fire and get breakfast things ready, everyone is still sleeping and the counselors are just waking up, but that week, one tent of guys got up every morning so early that by the time Audrey and I got to the site, they were all dressed, had cleaned their hogan (the kind of platform tent we have) thoroughly, and were sitting around the log circle quietly conversing. We would pull up in the bus and they would greet us at the door to ask if we needed help with anything. The entire group of campers were this way every day, all week long. They all listened to directions the first time around and were incredibly creative and hilarious. They included and encouraged each other really well and none of them were homesick.

During the camp week I sometimes teach campers different kinds of knots. Generally half the kids get bored or frustrated in the first five minutes because they all learn at different paces and there is only one of me to help each one. This group took to them well and one of the campers made a see-saw out of a log, a tree, and two of the knots he learned.

They knew when to be quiet and when to be crazy, we went rock-climbing on the very first day and they quickly learned how to trust each other and trust us. And we trusted them.

I dunno. It was just what I needed. So refreshing. I'm feeling worlds better.

This past week was all boys. One of the counselors told the guys that for every bug they ate during the week, I would eat one as well. I ate two giant crickets the size of my thumb covered in chocolate. And then a bunch of other smaller bugs. Mmm, protein. :)

This upcoming week is Mudapalooza, my all time favorite program in the highlands. I've been stirring up the mud pit all week long and I'm so excited.

No comments: