Saturday, January 25, 2014

Lo mejor dia

Today was the best day I've had in a long time. I went with Marcos (I don't really know what to call the people hosting me.. "host brother" sounds weird, but that's essentially what he is) and his fiance Ale to the villa (un barrio pobre/poor neighborhood) near his house. They typically go there on Saturdays and spend time with this one family that's got 9 children in it (and one on the way). But we ended up seeing three of the kids and their mom elsewhere and went with them to a birthday party.

We spent the whole afternoon and evening at the birthday party. Everyone was hanging out in this garage and there was a bounce house and foosball table on the street, and there were kids and adults of all ages running around and playing together for hours. Potato sack races (with real sacks), musical chairs, pinatas, music, laughter, babies to hold. There were plenty of people, so no one had to be burdened with talking to me really slowly for too long, and I felt super welcome and normal.

I love that 4 year olds are the same no matter what country they're in. Being thrown in the air makes them laugh, whether you speak their language or not. And kids that want your love will receive it even if you can't communicate coherently. Hugs translate so well. So does kicking butt at foosball.

At one point, three teenagers surrounded me and spent twenty minutes grilling me with all sorts of questions about how to say things in English and what kinds of things are different from Argentina in the United States. Since they were all talking super fast, and all at the same time, I had to ask them to repeat everything they said about 12 times, but somehow we managed to understand each other.

It was the best, longest, and most laid back birthday party I've ever been to. The whole day reminded me so much of the best days of Mission Year. So much joy.

At the end of the day, I was so happy to be exhausted and crammed into the tiny back seat of a car with a sleeping child on my lap, a pregnant mom, and two older children. I think we're all going to sleep well tonight.

Joy. Joy. Joy. So much joy.

No comments: