Friday, November 25, 2011

Big Trees

So there was this one time that I lived in Oregon and we went on a trip to the Oregon Coast  and on the way took a detour to the California REDWOODS! Gah! They're so freaking huge and spectacular! My friend and I ran around for about an hour, climbing over fallen trees, standing up inside some and crawling through hollowed out ones, gawking up at them and feeling so small, the whole time just spazzing out like crazy people because they were so big and so wonderful. Some of the trees I touched and climbed on were over 2,000 years old. If I could live inside a Redwood tree, I would be the happiest person alive. At any rate, we weren't there very long, but exploring the Redwood Forest probably made that one of the best days of my life.

The Coast was pretty sick nasty (in the best way possible), too. I saw about 30 starfish and went wave jumping in the frigid November pacific. Since then, we've completed another class, read some really great stuff, done some really intriguing and personal projects, and gone to San Fransisco, which was also quite amazing. Now we're on our last segment with about two weeks to go. It's weird to think of my time here wrapping up and moving back into the life of a regular college student. This has been quite the growing experience for me -- and not at all in the ways I expected. I'm not quite sure what I think about going back yet, but I'm not too worried about that. I want to continue to be present and invested in where I am. That just means thinking about how to say goodbye well.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Wow. That's incredible. I'm totally jellin' ;) Except that I know God has great plans for me where I'm at, too. That's an amazing tree, and I think you SHOULD live in a hollowed out tree. Find some people to help you hollow it as much as needs be. Get some mason jars and fill them will fireflies every night for light. Sleep in a cot. I'm for real. That'd be AWESOME. I might be living in the top of a barn next fall and I'm totally excited about it. Be a fellow nature nerd! :-)