Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Because I Think the Whole World Should Write Like Dr. Seuss

Today was the end of my favorite class
And it's not just my favorite because I did pass.
It's one of the greatest I ever have taken
Which is saying a lot, cuz I could have forsaken
The butt ton of reading that kept me awake in
The late late hours, but instead, they awakened
My heart and my mind to care quite a lot
About the systems that we, more often than not,
Let run our whole lives without any thought.

Alas, the 8:30 classes are through
To the end of the semester, I say: wahoo!
But about this class ending, I do, I really do
Think I'll miss the conversing about the taboo,
For the people who talk about these things are few.

It couldn't have ended any better though.
You see, I found out just a few weeks ago
That a boy in my class named Pierre didn't know
About Dr. Seuss or who he was -- I KNOW!
So filled with much woe, I asked my professor
If we could fix this, soon after his lecture.
With fervor I told him I was the possessor
Of the book called the Lorax, about the oppressor
Named Once-ler who chopped down the truffula trees
And out of their flourishing land he did squeeze
The bar-ba-loots, humming-fish and beasts such as these.

He said "bring it next class and I'll have you read it.
We've been talking about this stuff and so indeed it
Will fit with my lecture about what we should do
As the church that is seeing what things will ensue
When the world uses assets we cannot renew."

So although it was our last class today
And I was quite sad as I did say,
I did get to end things in quite a fun way
With Seuss for Pierre and Dr's words to obey:
"UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."

So even though the great class is all finished
What I will take from it can't be diminished.
I really do care about this quirky, broken place.
I want to make it better and to do that with grace.
I want to disrupt systems that oppress and debase
The value of people -- Jesus' beautiful face.

But I can't do it alone, no matter how hard I try.
So will you join me? Join me, or die?
Not a dead sort of die,
But a sad sort of lackluster, given up sigh.
The one inside people who inwardly cry
And who buy things and feel lonely and don't know why.

I don't want to do that. I so want to live.
I want to live the sort of life that just gives --
The life that just gives and gives and gives and gives
Love and joy and peace and laughter
Friendship that lasts through hard stuff and thereafter.
Hope that sees worth in the truffula trees
And not in the consumeristic disease,
Value for people because they are people,
Justice that takes scales that topple and teeple
And fights for their balance -- for lives that are equal.

I want to see a world born of a story
That revolves around God and his ingenious glory
And not around capital inventory.

The story can be political, too.
In fact it’s political through and through. 
It's set in a kingdom where no one's unseen.
Where God is the King and His Church is the queen
And each human being is not a machine.
The land is sustained and the air, it is clean.

Sometimes this world seems no more than a dream
And living it out is like swimming upstream.
But though it's far off from the actual scene,
The king that we want is already the king
And he is in charge of the whole blasted thing.
And as for our need, he’s a natural spring
Of the hope, truth, and justice to which we should cling.

No comments: